Accounting Services, Vancouver
Crystal Cahill

Crystal Cahill

Crystal Cahill is responsible for the social media and marketing at Cahill CPA. Crystal completed her Bachelor of Arts Degree at Simon Fraser University in English, and has an Education Degree and teaching certification. She enjoys keeping clients updated on new accounting practices, upcoming tax deadlines, and news & events within the Cahill CPA office & staff. She is married to Cahill CPA partner Jordan Cahill, and together they have two young children.

Tuesday, 01 November 2022 10:27

Business Excellence Awards Finalist

Business Excellence Awards

We are so honoured to be a finalist in the North Vancouver Chamber Business Excellence Awards in the category of Best Employer.

From the North Vancouver Chamber:

The North Vancouver Chamber is proud to celebrate local businesses and organizations that go above and beyond in their commitment to business excellence. The Business Excellence Awards is an annual recognition of these successful businesses and their contributions to our economy and passion for the North Vancouver community.

We thank you for this nomination, and for being awarded a finalist as Best Employer. We have grown so much as a firm, and we strive to be the very best leaders for our team.

We look forward to the awards event at Polygon Gallery later this month! 

Untitled design

Tuesday, 20 September 2022 12:05

Cahill Team Strategy Session with Colin Cox


Effective Productivity In Today’s Rapidly Changing World with Colin Cox

Our team participated in a great strategy session with Colin Cox, titled Effective Productivity In Today’s Rapidly Changing World. We all came away with so many great strategies for both our work & our personal lives. 

Colin focused on all the many ways we can be more productive in our work day, and we all appreciated that his tips were simple, practical, and easy to implement immediately. 

One of the first topics we learned about was hosting effective meetings! The need for having an agenda, being clear on outcomes, and staying on point is so applicable to a busy office like ours. Colin also shared practical tips about “taming our emails” and finding ways to boost our daily productivity by managing our health, creating achievable to-do lists, and reviewing our priorities. 

Finally, one of the biggest takeaways was how to lead & host effective virtual meetings. Even though we are now over two years into leading our meetings virtually, it was very helpful to learn about the best way to prepare, start, lead, and finish online meetings with our team & clients. 

We highly recommend Colin if you are looking to have a leadership workshop with your team, or if you are personally interested in individual business coaching. He is an engaging & dynamic speaker, professional, and an all-around great guy from North Vancouver. 


More about Colin: 

Trusted CEO Advisor. Ex-COO. MBA. Certified Executive & Business Coach. Highly-Rated Speaker. Award-Winning Customer Service Expert. Productivity Nerd. 

Colin is passionate about helping people and organizations grow. He helps leaders level up their performance through leadership workshops and individual coaching accelerators. Productivity is one of Colin's key focus areas. He has been coaching the executive suite and leaders across all levels of management on productivity for over 10 years, including one-to-one coaching, group workshops and speaking engagements. Colin has coached/trained over 1,000 people during this time.

 Colin has over 26 years of experience in corporations, including seven years in the executive suite as Chief Operating Officer for Demonware, the online studio for Activision. Colin has worked in Canada, the UK, and Ireland, and holds an MBA from the Open University in the UK. He lives in North Vancouver with his wife and three rambunctious boys. 


Contact Colin | | +1 604 790 3572 |



Wednesday, 17 August 2022 10:44

Tax Instalments for Individuals- FAQs

Tax Instalments for Individuals

What is this and why do I have to pay money?!

You may be confused with correspondence from CRA regarding tax instalments, so here is a brief rundown of what they are, when they are due, and some frequently asked questions. 

What ARE tax instalments? 

From CRA:

Tax instalments are payments you make throughout the year to cover the taxes you normally pay in one lump sum on April 30 of the following year. You pay these instalments during the year while you are earning the income, similar to how an employer deducts tax directly from each pay period.

You may have to pay tax instalments for next year's taxes, if your net tax owing is more than $3,000 (for Quebec $1,800) for 2022 and in either 2021 or 2020.

When will I have to pay tax instalments?

Tax instalment payments are due by the following dates (except farmers and fishers who have one due date on December 31):

  •  March 15
  •   June 15
  •   September 15
  •   December 15

What if I miss a payment?

If you miss a payment, or do not pay the full expected amount, you will be charged instalment interest. In addition to paying interest, there is also an instalment penalty that could be applied if you miss a payment and your instalment interest charges for 2022 are more than $1,000. 

How do I pay my tax instalments?

You can pay your tax instalments online, in person, or by mail. There are several payment options with different processing times for each.

CRA website for all the options for paying: CRA- Paying Tax Instalments

For more information on tax instalments, including who has to pay, how to calculate or reduce your instalment payments, and how to claim tax instalment amounts on your tax return: visit CRA: Tax Instalments for Individuals


Thursday, 23 June 2022 15:07

Braden Touche

Braden has a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from McGill University. He spent seven years in entrepreneurship, before starting the CPA program, and he’s passionate about start up companies and business development. He joined Cahill after a stint at a Big Four company, and was attracted to Cahill’s incredible team and care for their clients. He moved to the North Shore in October 2021 to be closer to the mountains, and in his spare time he can be found skiing, hiking, and mountain biking with his Miniature Australian Shepherd named Beatrice.

Tuesday, 08 February 2022 11:43

Justin Mcintyre

We have been using Jordan at Cahill CPA for two years now and could not be happier. Wherever you are in the lower mainland Jordan makes the usually stressful tax season a very hassle free experience. If you are looking for a new CPA, for a business or personal, I would highly recommend Cahill CPA!

Tuesday, 08 February 2022 11:42

Lindsey Abbott

Exceptional service from an extremely proficient team. I will definitely use this company again

Tuesday, 08 February 2022 11:42

Bryan Shane

Cahill has been diligently preparing our returns for several years, and Jordan has competently consulted on tax matters of varying complexity for us. The service at Cahill is absolutely top tier, and they most certainly take a client centric approach to their business. Having used several mediocre accountancy services in the past, we are delighted to have finally found a firm that provides such a consistent and favorable experience. Cahill delivers exceptional value at very competitive rates.

Tuesday, 08 February 2022 11:40

Karina M.

I had to deal with finishing off the Final Tax return for my late father's estate. I spoke to Jasmine who helped me with the process by offering efficient service and easy to understand next steps. I always felt that my questions and concerns were taken care of with clear communication.
Thanks for making the entire process stress-free!

Monday, 07 February 2022 16:32

Tuition Tax Credit

Tuition Tax Credit

If you paid tuition in 2021 for a post-secondary institution in Canada, you might qualify for a tuition tax credit. Our team of accountants can help you determine if you are eligible and how it will impact your return. 

Here’s the breakdown:

If the student went to a post-secondary school in Canada in 2021, the student is over the age of 16, and you paid tuition fees for the student (yourself, your child, a family member) without being reimbursed, you may be eligible to claim the tuition for a tax credit on your return. 

This could be beneficial to you for reducing the amount of tax you owe, provide you with amounts to carry forward for a future year, or transfer the credit to a spouse or common-law partner. 

Be sure to ask your accountant at tax time about this tax credit, and let us know about any tuition that was paid by you during 2021. We can help you best decide how using this tax credit will be most beneficial to you and your return. 

The extended article from CRA is here: Eligible Tuition Fees

Eligible tuition fees

Generally, a course taken in 2021 at an institution in Canada will qualify for a tuition tax credit if it was either:

  • taken at a post-secondary education institution
  • for individuals 16 years of age or older at the end of the year, who are developing or improving skills in an occupation and the educational institution has been certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada

Fees paid by an individual to a post-secondary educational institution in Canada (that provides courses at a post-secondary level) or, fees paid by a deemed resident of Canada, to a post-secondary educational institution outside Canada (that provides courses at a post-secondary level), for courses that are not at the post-secondary school level are eligible for the tuition tax credit if the following conditions are met:

  • the individual is 16 years of age or older before the end of the year
  • the individual is enrolled in the educational institution to obtain skills for, or improve their skills in, an occupation

If an individual is a qualifying student who receives a scholarship for an occupational skills course, the individual may be eligible to claim a scholarship exemption.

The official tax receipt or form you received from your educational institution will indicate the amount of eligible tuition fees that you paid for that calendar year. To qualify, the fees you paid to attend each educational institution must be more than $100. For example, if you attended two educational institutions in the year, the amount on each of your tax certificates must be more than $100.

You cannot claim the tuition amount on your tax certificate if any of the following applies to you:

  • the fees were paid or reimbursed by your employer, or an employer of one of your parents, where the amount is not included in your or your parent's income
  • the fees were paid by a federal, provincial, or territorial job training program, where the amount is not included in your income
  • the fees were paid (or eligible to be paid) under a federal program to help athletes, where the payment or reimbursement has not been included in your income

For more information, see Amounts which cannot be claimed as tuition fees.

Examination fees for licensing or certification

Examination fees paid to an educational institution, professional association, provincial ministry or other similar institution, to take an occupational, trade or professional examination that is required to obtain a professional status recognized by federal or provincial statute, or to be licensed or certified as a tradesperson, to allow you to practice the profession or trade in Canada, may be eligible for the tuition tax credit.

Ancillary fees or charges exceeding $250 and paid in respect of an occupational, trade, or professional examination are not eligible tuition fees unless they are required to be paid by all individuals taking the examination.

You should be provided with a receipt to substantiate your eligible exam fees. To view the information that should be contained in the receipt go to example of a receipt for licensing examination fee.


Thursday, 03 February 2022 13:33

Uncashed Cheques from CRA


Uncashed Cheques through CRA My Account

You might just have money waiting to be cashed! ⁠
Quickly see if you have any uncashed cheques from CRA through your CRA My Account. ⁠

  1. Select "Uncashed cheques" in your My Account under related services. ⁠
  2. If you have an uncashed cheque, ask CRA for a duplicate payment by selecting and completing the displayed form.
  3. Send the form using the "Submit documents" digital service.⁠

    It's that simple!⁠

 Source: CRA Website

Uncashed cheques from the Canada Revenue Agency

There are many reasons Canadians may have an uncashed cheque from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). For example, someone may have moved and not updated their address, or the cheque may have been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Individuals and their legal representatives can now view their uncashed cheques in My Account and, if necessary, request a duplicate payment.

CRA cheques never expire or become stale-dated. You can cash your CRA cheque at any financial institution in Canada. There is no charge to cash your CRA cheque.


Page 1 of 10



    Your Success Is Our Business

    Financial accounting, tax preparation, and much more.

    North Vancouver 604-985-0123


    More About CahillMap to Locations

    Review Us on Google-White