Accounting Services, Vancouver
  • Home
  • Blog
  • Rental Property Income Tax Deductions
July 10, 2014

Rental Property Income Tax Deductions


Real estate is a big deal here in Vancouver. Tax accountants can help you whether you rent out a room in your home, rent your basement, or you have a rental property empire. Here are some common deductible expenses:

  • Property taxes,
  • Utility costs,
  • Insurance,
  • Maintenance and repairs (see below),
  • Management and strata fees,
  • Mortgage interest (Principle payments are not deductible),
  • Capital cost allowance (CCA). 

Be careful with maintenance and repairs. Major repairs that are considered significant improvements to the land or building cannot be deducted in one year. They must be capitalized and claimed as Capital Cost Allowance (CCA).

Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) represents the depreciation expense on assets that you are allowed to claim for tax purposes. Different types of assets are added to separate CCA classes. Each class has a rate that is allowed to be deducted as an expense each year. In the first year, 50% of the regular CCA is allowed to be deducted.

Check out our Rental Income Tax Checklist which gives an overview of everything you need to claim rental income and expenses on your tax return.

For more information on rental property tax deductions in Canada, contact us to book a free consultation with the Cahillpro team.


Jordan Cahill

Jordan Cahill is a Chartered Accountant (CA) and Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) with a bachelor degree in business from Simon Fraser University. He articled at a national CA firm in Vancouver,BC and previously held a position at the Canada Revenue Agency as a business auditor.



    Your Success Is Our Business

    Financial accounting, tax preparation, and much more.

    North Vancouver 604-985-0123


    More About CahillMap to Locations

    Review Us on Google-White